Boston University School of Medicine (Boston, MA)
Transform healthcare at Boston University School of Medicine, where a commitment to social justice and interdisciplinary collaboration fosters innovative approaches to medical education and research.
Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) is a private medical school located in Boston, Massachusetts. Established in 1873, the university is one of the oldest medical schools in the United States. BUSM is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
After completing their studies at BUSM, students have the opportunity to pursue residency and fellowship programs in top medical centers and hospitals across the United States.
Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) is a part of Boston University’s medical campus, which also includes the Boston University School of Public Health and the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine. The school offers a range of medical education programs, including MD, PhD, and master’s degree programs in various fields of medicine.
BUSM is affiliated with several prestigious hospitals and medical centers in Boston, including Boston Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. These affiliations provide students with opportunities to gain hands-on clinical experience and access to state-of-the-art medical facilities.
The faculty at BUSM includes more than 1,200 full-time and part-time members who are committed to teaching and research. The school is known for its research in various fields of medicine, including neuroscience, cancer biology, infectious diseases, and genetics.
In addition to its academic programs, BUSM is also actively involved in community outreach and public health initiatives. The school runs several clinics and programs aimed at improving the health of underserved communities in the Boston area.
Overall, Boston University School of Medicine is a highly regarded institution that is known for its rigorous academic programs, cutting-edge research, and commitment to improving public health.
Medical Programs Offered
BUSM offers an MD program, as well as PhD and master’s degree programs in various fields related to medicine. The MD program is a four-year program that provides students with a comprehensive education in the basic and clinical sciences. The university also offers a range of electives and research opportunities to allow students to specialize in their areas of interest.
BUSM has state-of-the-art teaching facilities, including the Boston Medical Center, which is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The university also has affiliations with other top hospitals in the Boston area, providing students with access to a wide range of clinical experiences.
The Boston University School of Medicine offers several medical programs, including
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) Program: This is a four-year program that prepares students for careers as physicians. The curriculum includes both classroom instruction and clinical rotations in a variety of specialties.
- Master of Science (MS) Program: The MS program is designed for students who want to pursue research careers in medicine. It offers a range of concentrations, including Anatomy and Neurobiology, Biomedical Forensic Sciences, Genetics and Genomics, and Medical Anthropology and Cross-Cultural Practice.
- MD/PhD Program: This program is designed for students who want to combine clinical training with research experience. It typically takes 7-8 years to complete and results in both an MD degree and a PhD degree.
- Physician Assistant (PA) Program: This is a 26-month program that prepares students to become certified physician assistants. The curriculum includes both classroom instruction and clinical rotations.
- Master of Public Health (MPH) Program: This program is designed for students who want to pursue careers in public health. It offers several concentrations, including Epidemiology, Global Health, and Health Law, Bioethics, and Human Rights.
- Master of Science in Medical Sciences (MSMS) Program: This program is designed for students who want to strengthen their academic credentials before applying to medical school. It offers several concentrations, including Anatomy and Neurobiology, Biochemistry, and Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.
- Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) Program: The GMS program offers several PhD and Master’s degree programs in basic and clinical sciences, including Anatomy and Neurobiology, Genetics and Genomics, Microbiology, and Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.
Overall, the Boston University School of Medicine offers a wide range of medical programs to suit the needs and interests of various students.
Teaching and Curriculum at Boston University School of Medicine
The Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) has a curriculum that is designed to prepare students for careers as physicians. The curriculum includes a mix of classroom instruction, clinical experience, and research opportunities. Here are some highlights of the BUSM curriculum:
- Integrated Curriculum: BUSM has an integrated curriculum that combines basic science and clinical instruction. This means that students learn about the science behind diseases as well as the clinical skills needed to diagnose and treat them.
- Early Clinical Exposure: BUSM places an emphasis on early clinical exposure. Students begin working with patients in their first year, which allows them to develop their clinical skills and gain practical experience.
- Longitudinal Ambulatory Care Experience (LACE): The LACE program provides students with ongoing clinical experience in outpatient settings throughout their four years of medical school. This allows them to develop relationships with patients and learn about the complexities of managing chronic illnesses.
- Scholarly Concentrations: BUSM offers several Scholarly Concentrations that allow students to explore a particular area of interest in-depth. These concentrations include topics like Global Health, Medical Education, and Molecular Medicine.
- Research Opportunities: BUSM encourages students to participate in research throughout their medical education. This can include basic science research, clinical research, or health services research.
Overall, the BUSM curriculum is designed to provide students with a well-rounded education that prepares them for a career as a physician. It emphasizes the importance of clinical experience, research, and a broad understanding of the science behind medicine.
The Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) has several admission requirements for prospective students. Here are some of the key requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. The degree must be completed before matriculation into BUSM.
- Prerequisite Courses: Applicants must have completed certain prerequisite courses, including two semesters of biology with lab, two semesters of chemistry with lab (including one semester of organic chemistry), and two semesters of physics with lab. Additionally, applicants must complete one semester of biochemistry and one semester of math (statistics is preferred).
- MCAT Scores: Applicants must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and submit their scores to BUSM. Competitive scores on the MCAT are typically above 510.
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation, including at least one from a science faculty member who has taught the applicant.
- Personal Statement: Applicants must submit a personal statement that explains their motivation for pursuing a career in medicine and how their experiences have prepared them for this path.
- Interviews: Selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview process, which includes both individual and group interviews with BUSM faculty, students, and staff.
- English Proficiency: International applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Overall, BUSM seeks applicants who have a strong academic background, demonstrated commitment to the field of medicine, and the personal qualities necessary to become a successful physician.
These are the key statistics that provide an overview of the academic competitiveness of a medical school.
|Average GPA||Average MCAT||Applicants||Class Size|
BUSM provides a vibrant and diverse community for its students. The university offers a range of extracurricular activities, including student organizations focused on various medical specialties, as well as clubs focused on community service and outreach.
In addition to the vibrant student life on campus, Boston University School of Medicine is located in the heart of Boston, a city known for its rich history, cultural diversity, and world-renowned institutions. The school is surrounded by numerous parks, including the famous Boston Common and the beautiful Charles River Esplanade, providing students with opportunities for outdoor activities such as jogging, biking, and picnicking.
The city is also home to several museums and cultural institutions, such as the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and the Institute of Contemporary Art. For those interested in the performing arts, Boston offers a variety of venues, including the Boston Opera House and the historic Wang Theatre.
Foodies will appreciate the diverse dining options available in Boston, from trendy restaurants in the South End to traditional seafood eateries in the North End. For those interested in shopping, the city’s downtown area is home to a variety of stores and boutiques, while the nearby Cambridge area is known for its hip and trendy shops.
Overall, Boston provides a rich and diverse cultural experience for students at Boston University School of Medicine, with plenty of opportunities for entertainment, recreation, and exploration outside of the classroom.
Students at BUSM can participate in a wide range of extracurricular activities, including student organizations focused on specific medical specialties, as well as clubs focused on community service and outreach. The university also has a strong focus on research, and students have opportunities to engage in research projects and collaborate with faculty members.
Beyond the aforementioned clubs and organizations, BUSM offers students many additional extracurricular activities. The school’s Global Health Initiative offers students the opportunity to participate in global health research and outreach programs around the world. BUSM also has a robust athletic program, with several varsity and club sports teams available for students to join, including basketball, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee.
For those interested in the arts, Boston University’s College of Fine Arts offers a variety of programs in music, theater, and visual arts, with opportunities for students to perform or display their work. The school also hosts a variety of events throughout the year, such as the annual Spring Fling, which features live music, food, and games.
BUSM is also committed to promoting diversity and inclusion on campus, with a variety of affinity groups and programs available for students from underrepresented backgrounds. The school’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion offers workshops, cultural events, and other resources to support students and promote a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Overall, BUSM provides students with a rich and diverse array of extracurricular activities to explore and engage in, allowing them to pursue their interests outside of the classroom and connect with their peers and the wider Boston community.
Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) has affiliated housing agreements with several away sites for students who need accommodation during their clinical rotations. These affiliated sites are located in various cities across the United States and provide convenient and affordable housing options for BUSM students. Here are some highlights of the affiliated housing agreements:
- Location: The affiliated sites are located near the clinical sites where BUSM students will be completing their rotations. This makes it easy for students to commute to their clinical sites and access local amenities.
- Amenities: The affiliated housing options vary by location, but they typically include furnished apartments with a kitchen, bathroom, and living area. Some locations also offer amenities like laundry facilities, fitness centers, and parking.
- Pricing: The affiliated housing options are priced affordably for BUSM students. The exact pricing varies by location and apartment size, but the rates are typically competitive with local housing options.
- Safety and Security: The affiliated housing options are safe and secure, with features like keyless entry and 24-hour security.
- Application Process: BUSM students who wish to take advantage of the affiliated housing options must complete an application process, which typically includes submitting a housing agreement and providing a security deposit.
Overall, the affiliated housing agreements provide BUSM students with convenient and affordable housing options during their clinical rotations. The locations are safe, and comfortable, and offer a range of amenities to support students during their time away from Boston.
About the University
Email: [email protected]
Phone number: (617) 638-5300
Courses Offered: MD program, PhD and master’s degree programs in various fields related to medicine.
Course length: 4 years (MD program)
Graduate Entry: No
Tuition fees: The tuition fees for the MD program at BUSM for the 2022-2023 academic year are $63,716 per year.
How many full-time and part-time faculty members are at BUSM?
Answer: The faculty at BUSM includes more than 1,200 full-time and part-time members who are committed to teaching and research.
What hospitals and medical centers is BUSM affiliated with?
Answer: BUSM is affiliated with several prestigious hospitals and medical centers in Boston, including Boston Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Does BUSM offer opportunities for research and hands-on clinical experience?
Answer: Yes, BUSM offers opportunities for research and hands-on clinical experience through its affiliations with hospitals and medical centers in Boston.
Is financial aid available for students at BUSM?
Answer: Yes, financial aid is available for students at BUSM. The school offers a range of scholarships, grants, and loans to help students fund their education. Students are encouraged to contact the financial aid office for more information on available resources and eligibility requirements.
About the university