Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (Westville, NJ)
Join the next generation of medical leaders at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. With a four-year MD program, state-of-the-art facilities, and a commitment to personalized education, CMSRU offers the perfect platform to launch your medical career.
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University is a public medical school located in Westville, New Jersey. It was established in 2012 and is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
Upon completion of their studies, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University graduates go on to pursue residencies in various medical specialties, including internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, and psychiatry, among others. Some graduates also pursue careers in research or academia.
In comparison to other medical schools, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University boasts a smaller class size, allowing for more personalized education and hands-on clinical experiences. The school also emphasizes community service, with opportunities for students to engage in local healthcare initiatives and volunteer work. Additionally, the school is located in close proximity to Cooper University Hospital, providing students with ample opportunities for clinical rotations and exposure to a diverse patient population.
Medical Programs Offered
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University offers a Doctor of Medicine (MD) program, which is a traditional four-year program that provides comprehensive medical education to students. The MD program curriculum includes both basic science courses and clinical experiences, as well as opportunities for research and community engagement.
In addition to the MD program, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University also offers a combined MD/PhD program, which is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in medical research. This program allows students to earn both a medical degree and a Ph.D. degree in a related field, such as biomedical science or health services research.
The medical school’s teaching facilities include state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories, and simulation centers. The school is also affiliated with Cooper University Health Care, which provides students with opportunities for hands-on clinical experience in a variety of medical specialties. The teaching faculty at the school is comprised of experienced physicians and researchers who are committed to providing high-quality medical education to students.
Teaching and Curriculum at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University.
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (CMSRU) provides a comprehensive and dynamic medical education program that prepares students for the challenges and opportunities of modern medicine. CMSRU utilizes a range of innovative and interactive teaching methods, including problem-based learning, small group sessions, and case-based simulations, to help students develop critical thinking, clinical reasoning, and decision-making skills.
The curriculum at CMSRU is structured around six core themes that integrate basic and clinical sciences, behavioral and social sciences, and population health. These themes are
- Foundational Sciences
- Clinical Skills and Reasoning
- Health Systems Science and Interprofessionalism
- Human Behavior and Ethics
- Population Health
- Scholarship and Research
Each theme is taught across the four-year program, with the goal of providing students with a comprehensive understanding of the interconnected aspects of healthcare delivery. Additionally, CMSRU offers a range of elective courses, research opportunities, and clinical experiences that allow students to tailor their education to their interests and career goals.
Overall, the teaching and curriculum at CMSRU are designed to cultivate a culture of inquiry, collaboration, and continuous learning, with the goal of preparing students to become skilled and compassionate physicians who are able to adapt to the changing landscape of medicine.
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University has specific admissions requirements for its MD program. Below is a detailed breakdown of their requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution: Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or Canada.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0: Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, the average GPA of admitted students is higher, typically around 3.5.
- Required pre-medical coursework: Applicants must have completed the following courses with a grade of “C” or better:
- Biology (two semesters or equivalent)
- General Chemistry (two semesters or equivalent)
- Organic Chemistry (two semesters or equivalent)
- Physics (two semesters or equivalent)
- English (two semesters or equivalent)
- Competitive MCAT score: Applicants must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and receive a competitive score. The average MCAT score of admitted students is typically around 512.
- Letters of recommendation: Applicants must provide three letters of recommendation, with at least two from faculty members at the undergraduate institution. The third letter can be from a physician or other professional who can attest to the applicant’s academic and personal qualifications.
- Personal statement: Applicants must submit a personal statement that provides insight into their motivation for pursuing a career in medicine and their unique qualities and experiences.
- Interview: Applicants who meet the above requirements will be invited to participate in an interview. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University uses the multiple mini-interview (MMI) format for their admissions interviews, which consists of a series of timed stations where applicants are evaluated on their communication skills, ethical decision-making, and problem-solving abilities.
There is no graduate pathway available at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University.
The following table provides statistics on the average GPA, average MCAT score, number of applicants, and class size for Cooper Medical School of Rowan University.
|Average GPA||Average MCAT||Applicants||Class Size|
Student life at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University is vibrant and engaging, with a variety of opportunities for personal and professional growth. Located in Westville, NJ, the school is just a short drive from Philadelphia and all that the city has to offer, including world-class dining, cultural attractions, and professional sports teams. Students can also explore the charming towns and scenic natural areas that surround the campus, with options for hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities. On campus, students can get involved in a variety of student organizations, including interest groups, community service organizations, and cultural clubs. The school also hosts regular events and social gatherings, providing opportunities for students to connect with their peers and form lasting friendships.
Here are some examples of extracurricular activities that may be available to students at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University:
- Student-led organizations: There may be a variety of student-led organizations available on campus, including those focused on specific medical specialties or areas of interest, such as emergency medicine, pediatrics, or public health. These organizations may provide opportunities for networking, leadership development, and community service.
- Medical conferences and workshops: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University may offer opportunities for students to attend medical conferences and workshops, where they can learn about the latest research and developments in their field, as well as network with other medical professionals.
- Volunteer opportunities: Students may have opportunities to volunteer at local clinics and hospitals, providing them with valuable hands-on experience and an opportunity to give back to their community.
- Research opportunities: Cooper Medical School of Rowan University may provide students with opportunities to engage in research projects in their field of interest, allowing them to develop their research skills and contribute to the advancement of medical knowledge.
- Athletic and recreational activities: While the focus at a medical school is primarily on academic pursuits, students may still have opportunities to engage in athletic and recreational activities, such as intramural sports or fitness classes, to help maintain their physical and mental health.
It is possible that Cooper Medical School of Rowan University may offer on-campus accommodation for its students. This could include dormitory-style housing, apartments, or townhouses. The university may also have partnerships with off-campus housing providers, offering students a variety of options for housing in the surrounding area.
Typically, students at medical schools may have access to a variety of housing options that are affordable, safe, and located near the campus. The university may provide assistance in finding suitable housing options for its students, and there may be resources available to help students find roommates or housemates to share the cost of living expenses.
It is also possible that Cooper Medical School of Rowan University may provide access to resources and services to help students with housing-related issues, such as roommate conflicts, housing repairs, or moving in and out of their accommodation. These services may include staff members who are available to provide support and advice to students as needed.
Ultimately, the type of accommodation available and the resources and services provided may vary depending on the specific policies and practices of Cooper Medical School of Rowan University.
About the University
Email: [email protected]
Phone number: (856) 361-2800
You can visit the university’s website to find additional contact information, as well as information on the admissions process, available programs, and other relevant information.
|Courses Offered||Doctor of Medicine (MD)|
|Course Length||4 years|
|Tuition Fees||$54,787 for in-state students and $65,771 for out-of-state students (2022-2023 academic year)|
What is the student-to-faculty ratio at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University?
A: The student-to-faculty ratio at Cooper Medical School is approximately 4:1, allowing for personalized attention and mentorship from experienced faculty.
What residency programs are available to graduates of Cooper Medical School?
A: Graduates of Cooper Medical School pursue residencies in a variety of medical specialties, including internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, psychiatry, and more.
Does Cooper Medical School offer any research opportunities for students?
A: Yes, Cooper Medical School provides students with opportunities to participate in research projects and scholarly activities, working alongside faculty members in a variety of areas.
How is Cooper Medical School connected to Cooper University Hospital?
A: Cooper Medical School is located in close proximity to Cooper University Hospital, providing students with ample opportunities for clinical rotations and exposure to a diverse patient population.
Are there any clubs or organizations available to students at Cooper Medical School?
A: Yes, there are a variety of student organizations and interest groups available at Cooper Medical School, including those focused on community service, cultural diversity, and professional development.
About the university